audio presentations and discourse analysis for the masses

Rachel R. Reynolds rrr at drexel.edu
Thu Sep 26 19:22:02 UTC 2002

I don't have much to respond directly to Richard Senghas' posting about new
technological developments in audio, but in a related thematic, I would
like to ask if anyone knows about...

Audio presentations. I'd like to experiment with computer-based
presentations for conferences, workshops and classes that include about a
few minutes-long audio recordings of my informants. Now, I know that
shouldn't be all too difficult, however, I have never done anything
remotely that complicated with the computer before, so I'd appreciate
advice about how to start. So I am especially asking if anyone knows about
inexpensive audio editing programs, preferably free versions like shareware
to start with (so I can practice). Or perhaps there is an editing program
available as part of a presentation package that I might already have but
don't know about (can I edit audio in any of the standard issue programs
that universities have available to faculty), etc.?

On a much more interesting note, I intend to experiment with a discourse
analysis presentation for non-linguists, seeing if these technological
tools make the close examination of discourse any way more accessible to
the untrained. D.A. work with specific texts is harder for me to sell as a
conference paper than just a straight up theoretical or descriptive piece
might be. I think this is because the focus on an actual transcribed text
that a non-linguist has to develop is limited and the text even becomes a
distraction in the 20 minute conference format. It may be impossible to
bring across, and perhaps work on closely-examined inference in texts
should only be presented to a linguist crowd, but I want to try!! I'm
especially interested in presentations that could help recruiting graduate
students and that could give my non-linguist colleagues a better idea of
what I actually do! If anyone wants to pick up on this as a discussion
topic, I'm all ears.

Rachel

Rachel R. Reynolds
Assistant Professor