Lx Field & Lab gear

Vincent de Rooij vderooij at pscw.uva.nl
Mon Sep 30 14:55:27 UTC 2002

Hi Alexandra (or Misty)

Thanks for the info on the Archos MP3 recorder. Sounds great!

I checked the Archos website < http://www.archos.com > and read several
reviews on the web. The overall judgement is very positive. I also found out
that there is an active group of software engineers working on enhancements
of the Archos software < http://rockbox.haxx.se/ >. It seems that one of the
things they added is a resume funtion for recording! (and playback), see <
http://rockbox.haxx.se/download/rockbox-1.3-notes.txt > under 'Resume'.

Could you tell a bit more on how the recording quality of the Archos
compares to the quality of other recording technologies (e.g. DAT, HDD
recording in .wav format)?

And a second question: considering that the Archos records directly on HDD,
is it possible to record when the device is 'in motion' (holding/carrying it while
walking around for instance)?

thanks in advance for your reaction

vincent de rooij
dept. of sociology & Anthropology
university of amsterdam

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:49:53 -0700, Alexandra Jaffe <ajaffe at csulb.edu> wrote:

>ARCHOS MP3 recorder, which I used this past summer for fieldwork. (...) The
recording quality is very good with the external
>microphone.

(...)