linguistic questions

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Thu Apr 17 17:26:26 UTC 2003

At 9:55 AM -0700 4/17/03, Stephen C Hollister wrote:
>If a linguist is someone who analyzes data to determine how a
>linguistic system works then all seven-year-olds (indeed all
>children) are linguists.  It they weren't they would never learn
>their native languages.
>
>Stephen

However, don't forget the key element separating a linguist from
"everyone else": linguists do their analysis and theorizing
explicitly (we hope!). And in an amusing irony, linguists often don't
develop conversational command of a particular language even when
they *have* developed a sophisticated linguistic understanding of
said language.

-RJS