bad words cleansed

Robert Lawless robert.lawless at wichita.edu
Thu Apr 17 21:59:20 UTC 2003

It is so exciting to hear from professional linguists. I have another
question that i suppose is linguistic. The other day I overheard the
teacher of my first-grade twin sons use the word "brown-nosing" in class.
After class I asked her whether she was aware of the origin of the phrase.
Of course, she wasn't. When I told her, she was horrified. How common is it
for bad words to be cleansed so that people use them with no knowledge of
their origins as pejorative comments? Is there a particular linguistic
label for this? Robert.