linguistic questions

Gabriella Modan modan.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 18 15:55:04 UTC 2003

Chomsky's dissertation was on the morpho-phonemics of modern Hebrew, and
I'm pretty sure he's done work on and/or speaks Yiddish.  Regardless of his
bi/multilingualism (which it's worth pointing out that we don't even know
if we're working with similar definitions of bilingualism), it's patently
ridiculous to claim that Chomsky has nothing of interest to say about language.

I'm interested in these discussions about who is a linguist and who is
not.  I would argue that people who are good at learning languages as
adults can be seen as linguists  in some sense, because they have to go
through the same kinds of explicit structural and pragmatic analyses as the
people who do it for a living in the process of becoming competent
speakers/signers/writers.  So what makes a linguist a linguist?  Getting
paid for it?  And what's at stake for us in who we allow into the
definition?  I've been noticing for the last few years that this issue
always seems to be brewing beneath the surface of the annual Society for
Linguistic Anthropology meetings, where people, depending on the year and
on the issue, want to either separate Linguistic Anthropology from
Linguistics, which seems to serve the purpose of bolstering credentials as
anthropologists, or to emphasize Linguistc Anthropologists' identity as
linguists (this played out last year in the discussion about whether or not
the Society for the Study of Indigenous Languages was gonna meet with AAA
or LSA); promoting an identity as linguists *also* seems to work to bolster
our credentials vis-a-vis the rest of anthropology, as people who have
difficult technical skills which are critical to the work of anthropology
(something along the lines of, you need us, otherwise anthropology will
have no rigor, so we're worthy of respect).  This stuff also often seems
somehow to segue from or into how many linguistic anthropologists are on
various AAA committees.  In light of this, I would be interested to hear
other people's thoughts on how our definitions of "linguist" tie into
material concerns, and what the implications of that are for the work of
linguistic anthropology (and linguistic anthropologists, broadly construed).

Galey Modan