linguistic questions

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at udc.es
Sat Apr 19 13:09:23 UTC 2003

At 22:10 17/04/03 -0400, P. Kerim Friedman wrote:

>But seriously, as linguists we should realize that even the most
>monolingual of us must deal with a variety of codes, registers, etc. and
>that switching between these would provide many, if not all, of the
>experiences that us multilingual folk have.

I totally agree. But we know that these intralinguistic, monolingual
registers don't sell for large nation-building projects ;-).  That's the
issue.  Linguists predefine 'languages' in the brain and in society and
it's not surprise that that's exactly what they find when they open up a
brain or dissect a society -- that is, when they build the models for each.

-celso

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es
http://www.udc.es/dep/lx/cac/