bad words cleansed

peterson peterson at aucegypt.edu
Mon Apr 21 13:43:32 UTC 2003

We use several word for this, primarily idiom or cliche.  At some point, most
idiomatic expressions were creative bits of language play, metaphorically or
metonymically linking various domains of meaning.  As the expression enters
into general circulation, it loses its original significance.  It remains,
however, difficult to translate.

Mark Allen Peterson