bad words cleansed

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Apr 22 00:16:41 UTC 2003

I think that perhaps the terms used in grammaticalization, for when a
lexical item is recruited to serve as a grammatical marker, such as
'weakening' (originally in French 'affaiblissement' and German
'Verbleichung') might be appropriate; bleaching (because of the German
Verbleichung) is also used.  This refers to the weakening of bleaching of
the meaning of the borrowed term as it undergoes grammaticalization--it
loses specific meaning and becomes more general and abstract.

Example:  'going to' in English originally had directional and motion
meaning only: 'I am going to work' meant 'I am proceeding/moving in the
direction of my job' but as 'going to' has been recruited as a kind of
immediate future marker, it has lost the motion/direction meaning (which
probably originally required animate subjects) and now means only future.
Of course it also gets phonologically reduced, to 'gonna' which can not be
used for the directional meaning: *I'm gonna London' has to be 'I'm goin'
to London' but 'I'm gonna work' means only future/intentional, not
directional.

This isn't of course the same as the weakening of lexical items or idioms
but still it seems appropriate to use 'weakening' here.

BTW, I was thinking recently of the origin of the term 'joystick' which I
think may have had a sexual connotation, then because of the shape of it,
used for the stick on an airplane, and now on video games etc. There's
weakening for you, I think!  (Was that a bad word cleansed, or what?)

Hal Schiffman