Bakhtin Query-Responses

Maggie Ronkin ronkinm at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 23:59:34 UTC 2003

Hi All,

On 17 Apr 2003, I wrote: I am looking for clarification of the chart on page
199 of Caryl Emerson’s translation of Bakhtin’s _Problems with Dostoevsky’s
Poetics_. In particular, I would like to know of clear explanations (readily
available on the web or in print) of the various types of vari-directional
double-voiced discourse and reflected discourse of another, with examples in
English … A few folks have since asked me to share my responses. They were:

Clark, Katerina and Michael Holquist. 1984. Mikhail Bakhtin. Cambridge,
MA and London: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press (as a
major source on Bakhtin’s work).

Hill, Jane H. 1998. The Grammar of Consciousness and the Consciousness
of Grammar. In The Matrix of Language: Contemporary Linguistic
Anthropology. Donald Brenneis and Ronald K.S. Macaulay, eds. Pp. 307-
324. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press (as a source specific to the query).

Rampton, Ben. 1995. Crossing: Language and Ethnicity Among Adolescents.
London and New York: Longman (as a source specific to the query).

Thanks to Deborah Keller-Cohen, Galey Modan, and Jim Wilce for offering
these suggestions.

Maggie Ronkin