query: teaching article, gender and language in India

Jim Wilce jim.wilce at nau.edu
Tue Apr 29 20:07:20 UTC 2003

Rachel, I would start with this:

Hall, Kira
	1997	"Go Suck Your Husband's Sugarcane..." In Queerly Phrased:
Language, Gender, and Sexuality. K. Hall and A. Livia, eds. Pp.
430-460. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

If you want to widen your study to South Asia in general, how about the
award-winning book,
Ahearn, Laura M.
	2001	Invitations to Love: Literacy, Love Letters, and Social Change in
Nepal. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.

Best,

Jim

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 12:11 PM, Rachel R. Reynolds wrote:

> An undergraduate student has asked me for help researching gender and
> communication in India.  A semi-extensive search of library databases
> and a pile of sociolinguistics readers hasn't yielded a really high
> quality teaching article nor a solid piece from which to base a senior
> research project. Might someone recommend a piece or two on language
> and gender in India?
>
> Rachel
>
> Rachel R. Reynolds
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Culture & Communication
> Drexel University
> 3141 Chestnut Street
> Philadelphia, PA 19104
> (215) 895-0498

Jim Wilce, Associate Professor of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University
PO Box 15200
Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200
Office phone: 928-523-2729
email: jim.wilce at nau.edu
Home page: http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22

New! You can now order Jim's 2003 edited volume, Social and Cultural
Lives of Immune Systems, from Routledge. See
http://www.routledge-ny.com/books.cfm?isbn=0415310040.