query: teaching article, gender and language in India

John McCreery mccreery at gol.com
Wed Apr 30 00:41:47 UTC 2003

On 2003.4.30, at 05:07 午前, Jim Wilce wrote:

> Rachel, I would start with this:
>
> Hall, Kira
> 	1997	"Go Suck Your Husband's Sugarcane..." In Queerly Phrased:
> Language, Gender, and Sexuality. K. Hall and A. Livia, eds. Pp.
> 430-460. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
>

> If you want to widen your study to South Asia in general, how about
> the award-winning book,
> Ahearn, Laura M.
> 	2001	Invitations to Love: Literacy, Love Letters, and Social Change
> in Nepal. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
>

> Best,

I notice that Jim, with characteristic modesty, has failed to recommend

Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
Bangladesh (Oxford Studies in Anthropological Linguistics, No 21)
by James MacLynn Wilce (Hardcover - November 1998)

Lots of good stuff in there.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku