Fwd: Re: "Official English" again

Elizabeth Keating ekeating at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 11 00:09:07 UTC 2003

Dear Ron,
One thing to mention is the importance of questioning what is meant by
"bilingual education" (particularly in reference to the "bilingual
education has been a disaster" quote) When I ask my large undergraduate
classes about their personal experiences in bilingual education in
elementary school the range of descriptions include everything from "only
the homework assignments were given in Spanish" to the class was completely
conducted in Spanish--and their descriptions include many other interesting
variations. Any discussion in the press should acknowledge the difficulties
of comparing or drawing conclusions across such broad differences.

best, Elizabeth

>From: "Maggie Ronkin" <ronkinm at hotmail.com>
>To: rkephart at unf.edu
>Cc: linganth at cc.rochester.edu
>Subject: Re: "Official English" again
>Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:11:41 +0000
>Sender: owner-linganth at ats.rochester.edu
>

>I can recommend James Crawford's Language Policy Website and Emporium
>as a resource for this project, and for classroom materials as well:
>
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JWCRAWFORD/
>
>Maggie
>

>>From: Ronald Kephart <rkephart at unf.edu>
>>To: linguistic anthroplogy list <linganth at cc.rochester.edu>
>>Subject: "Official English" again
>>Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:32:18 -0400
>>
>>Hello all:
>>
>>Apparently there's another stirring in the "official English" movement
>>afoot, sponsored by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Florida). Today's Times-Union
>>(Jacksonville) has an editorial in support which you can read at:
>>
>>http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/081003/opi_13233174.html
>>
>>Best lines:
>>
>>"...bilingual education has been a disaster."
>>
>>"... studies show immigrant children fare much better in English
>>immersion programs."
>>
>>I want to write a response, but I need to do it quickly. Any thoughts,
>>sources, etc.?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Ron
>>
>>--
>>Ronald Kephart
>>Associate Professor
>>Sociology, Anthropology, & Criminal Justice
>>University of North Florida
>>http://www.unf.edu/~rkephart

____________________
Elizabeth Keating
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station C3200
Austin, TX 78712-0303
phone: 512-471-8518; fax 512-471-6535
office: E.P.Schoch Building, room 2.206

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~keating/
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/keating/

co-editor Journal of Linguistic Anthropology (JLA)
JLA website: http://www.aaanet.org/sla/jla/jlamain.htm