demon - pronunciation question

Timothy Mason tmason at club-internet.fr
Sat Aug 16 07:48:51 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 04:35, JAMADACAI at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/15/2003 6:20:49 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
> ushchyna at hotmail.com writes:
>
> > I have a similar question. Can anyone help me with correct pronunciation of
> >
> > Norman Fairclough's last name?
> > [feaklau]? [feaklaf]?

My copy of Jones (English Pronouncing Dictionary, Jones & Gimson, 1967)
gives 'feacluf' - that is 'f', 'e,e back-to-front' 'k' 'l' 'inverted v'
'f'. Fuller information will be found in more up-to-date and fuller
editions of the same, which now includes American English and dialectal
variations - but my own edition is at the office right now.

Best wishes

Timothy Mason

BTW, it is quite easy to make a filter for 'linganth', basing it on the
'To' function.