[linganth] Language styles

Elizabeth Coville ecoville at piper.hamline.edu
Sun Aug 17 18:05:33 UTC 2003

Dear Linganth list,

Here's a nice quote from an article in the New York Times
entitled (in my upper midwest print version)
"The U.N. State of Mind: It's a Small World.  Slow, Too."
by Felicity Barringer (p. YT 17), although I notice that the online
version has a different title:

"Outside, there is cacophony.  Inside, there is calm . . . Outside, when
people mean something, they underline it with a brief expletive.  Inside,
when people mean something, translators must repeat it in six different
languages before it is official."

For complete article, see

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/17/nyregion/17NATI.html

Cheers,
Liz
__

Elizabeth Coville                               651-649-0739 (home)
Adj. Assist. Prof.				651-523-2129 (office)
Department of Anthropology                      651-523-3170 (office fax)
Hamline University                              ecoville at piper.hamline.edu
1536 Hewitt Avenue
St. Paul, Minnesota  55104