Dame Edna "forget Spanish"

Clark, John JTClark at csuchico.edu
Fri Feb 7 19:25:07 UTC 2003

Great reflection, Peter! I would add one thing:There surely is some kind of discursive or cosmic price to be paid when a social critic withdraws (in the sense of withdrawing from a bank account)  from the depths of unflective (and therefore often base and crude) beliefs and prejudices in order to "make a point." To put it in more narrative terms, a friend of mine used to occasionally make what he thought were humorous asides that were based on crude racist assumptions. He made these jokes--he said, and I understood--because he wanted to point out that such ugly beliefs were "out there" and, in the spirit of gallows humor would crack these awful jokes to somehow dispell the power that they had over him/us. After a while I asked him at point did he think that his crude, racist humor was no longer decrying racism, but actually keeping it going (among us two)? I used the analogy of a bank account, and I advised him that his account or license for making such remarks to me had ex!
pired, and that  I was no longer willing to be an audience for it. Another story: I once wrote a song with the word "nigger" in it, for the same sort of reason: to decry racism. Nowadays I cringe when I hear my home-recorded version of that song. Couldn't I have done better than to plunge the song into discursive debt like that? Evoking hatred is too easy, and it clearly charges a discursive price in that one breathes life into hateful words and tropes in order to decry them.

When I read Laura's forward, I felt I had to respond in some way. I ended up writing Vanity Fair and Dame Edna taking the prospective of the "leaf blower" or the "help." That is to say, why would any leaf blower want to bother to learn English in order to converse with a self-indulgent, self-centered  VF reader who faciley conflates notions of bellatristic literary output with human intelligence broadly conceived? What does the imagined VF reader (lampooned or otherwise) have to offer the "leaf blower" and "the help?" Judging from the attitudes of the blue collar Hispanics who are my friends, students (and my wife!), they do not need to be "blessed" by conversing with such folk. They'd much prefer the money they get doing honest work for their families.

John T. Clark
Department of English
California State University, Sacramento
jtclark at csuchico.edu