submissions requested

Leila Monaghan monaghan at indiana.edu
Fri Jan 17 04:57:47 UTC 2003

Hi.

I'm currently the course director of a large Interpersonal
Communication course that draws heavily on work from Linguistic
Anthropology.  I am interested in submissions of articles for possible
use this coming fall in a locally printed course pack that I hope to
develop into a formal book.

I'm interested in unpublished work or work done in really obscure
journals with cheap release fees.  The ideal article would be:
--clearly written and accessible to a general audience,
--short (10-15 typescript pages),
--on a subject of interest to college freshmen and sophomores,
--refer to work by any of Horace Miner (the Nacerima); Michael Agar;
Richard Bauman; Benjamin Lee Whorf; Youssouf, Grimshaw & Bird
(Greetings in the Desert);  Dell Hymes (the SPEAKING model); Deborah
Tannen; Erving Goffman; Elinor Ochs & Bambi Schieffeli; or Penelope
Eckert (her high school work).
--would present primary data from fieldwork including conversation
analysis transcripts and observation and interview data.
--and would discuss the negotiated nature of language and
communication.

A well-written, slightly-longer-than-AAA-reading-length conference
paper might work quite for this purpose.

I would be happy to answer questions by e-mail (monaghan at indiana.edu)
or phone (610-529-0460).  I would appreciate a note of inquiry asap,
and then abstracts of papers or drafts of papers by February 14.  If
your abstract is accepted, papers would be due April 1.

cheers,

Leila

Leila Monaghan
Department of Communication and Culture