Ebonics in TV

Francis M. Hult fmhult at dolphin.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 29 20:18:57 UTC 2003

It does not address AA(V)E/Ebonics specifically but Schiffman's concept
of 'linguistic culture' may be of interest to your student, especially if the
project will involve a discussion of the intersection of language, society, and
policy (which, of course, was/is central to the ebonics debate).

Schiffman, H.F. (1996).  Linguistic Culture and Language Policy. Routledge.

Here is a short excerpt from
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/540/summary.html :

"The main findings of this work are that language policy is primarily a social
construct, and as such rests primarily on other conceptual elements---belief
systems,
attitudes, myths, the whole complex that we are referring to as linguistic
culture. This also recognizes the role of language as the main vehicle for the
construction,
replication, and transmission of culture itself. And though language itself is
a cultural construct, this does not imply that it can be deconstructed,
changed, or radically
altered by the application of particular political scrutinies of one sort or
another. Language (and languages) mean different things to different people, and
policy-formulation is often vague and ill-defined. Perhaps the main
contribution of this book is to view language policy as not only the specific,
the overt, the explicit,
the de-jure embodiment of rules in laws or constitutions, but as a broader
entity, rooted in covert, implicit, grass- roots, unwritten, de facto practices
that go deep
into the culture."

Francis