"More Brain Power Needed for Mandarin Than English"

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 1 12:56:54 UTC 2003

This business reminds me of claims made years ago, and reported by Roy
Andrew Miller in his book "Japan's Modern Myth: the Language and Beyond"
that Japanese also supposedly used different parts of the brain, and
therefore was cognitively different from every other language on earth.
Miller tried to show that this was part of Japanese agendas to show some
kind of deep cultural superiority of the Japanese; at least it was
'racist' (covertly maybe).  The "research" done in Japan even showed that
Japanese Americans did not use the same parts of their brains as did
Japanese speaking Japanese, etc. etc.  Supposedly this also had to do with
the difference in writing, and it explained (as Peter points out for
Chinese) why the Japanese have such difficulty learning other languages.

Hal Schiffman