English usage question

Allen Grimshaw grimsha at indiana.edu
Tue Jul 1 16:58:30 UTC 2003

I seem to have somehow sent my question about how to send a question to
everyone. So, here is the question. I’ll be glad to forward your responses.

I've got a question to you about some English usage. In the course of
the discussion about what might be the Subject of various sentences, An
American
linguist here has said that besides saying "It is raining" one might
say nowadays "Its raining has ruined my plans for today". Is it the
sort of modern English usage that we aren't familiar with? Or is it a
something concocted by linguists for theoretical purposes? I'd love to
hear Polly's opinion as well.

___________

A Russian colleague has asked an interesting question re English usage. What
do I do to pass it on to colleagues on this list? Do I send it to you?

And, should I have them send answers and comments to me for forwarding? Or
should I ask her whether it is OK to provide her e-mail address within the
query?

Thanks very much,

Allen grimshaw

PEACE & JUSTICE!