looking for source of workbook problem

Harriet Ottenheimer mahafan at ksu.edu
Mon Jul 14 14:37:42 UTC 2003

I am looking for the source of a workbook problem that connects consonant
inventory to actual pronounciation.

The exercise describes Maori, Luangiuan, Rarotongan and American children in
a New Zealand school. The children are given candy by the teacher and each
child says "thank you" using his/her own consonant inventory (with results
like "sank you" or "fank you" or "tank you"). The American child says
something humorous like "got any more?" Given the various forms of "thank
you" and three consonant inventories, the workbook problem is to determine
which consonant inventory goes with which language.

Can anyone help me to identify the original publication of this workbook
problem?  It was probably published prior to 1990, and possibly even prior
to 1988. I would like to use it in a workbook/reader that I am compiling and
I need to know where to write for permission.

Many thanks,

Harriet Ottenheimer
Professor of Anthropology & American Ethnic Studies
Kansas State University
mahafan at ksu.edu