African Studies department at Harvard ... Note title use

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Jul 18 14:14:56 UTC 2003

It's nice to know that the NYTimes checks these things out ("we don't know
whether Ms. Morgan prefers...")

The reason I forwarded the orignal message to this list was because it
seemed to signal a major shift in African Studies/Afro-American Studies at
Harvard, which also seems to be happening elsewhere, i.e. to include or
emphasize the study of real languages, instead of the more
speculative/interpretive navel-gazing one finds in some programs.  More
"nuts and bolts" as it were (or am I overanalyzing?)

Hal S.