title use in universities

Laura Miller lmille2 at wpo.it.luc.edu
Wed Jul 23 13:17:50 UTC 2003

One issue no one has mentioned is that when students are socialized to use "Mr" "Mrs" and "Ms" for their instructors, they often automatically address women of a certain age as "Mrs."  With so many unmarried female academics, as well as women who don't change  their names after marriage, continually being addressed as "Mrs." becomes tiresome and irritating. In some ways, then, using the title "Professor," to address all teaching staff as some schools do, is more egalitarian, because it isn't  marking someone's age or  marital status.
Laura