Further re title use at Chicago

P. Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Thu Jul 24 04:31:54 UTC 2003

I would like to follow up Alexandra Jaffe's comments by relating them
to student behavior. Having gone to schools that encouraged calling
professors by their first names I tend to do the same in my own classes
- however, I have found some students quite resistant to this practice.
My impression is that students who attended small private schools are
much more comfortable with this practice than those who did not. Some
foreign students are similarly uncomfortable with using a professors
first name. In some cases when I tell my students not to call me "Mr.
Friedman" but to use my first name, I end up with "Mr. Kerim" ...

- kerim