title use in academic settings

Alan Rumsey alan.rumsey at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 24 22:12:39 UTC 2003

Interesting point Laura.

Also, re your earlier point about the different entailments T+LN usage for
women vs men, I have noted that the availability of the 'Dr' / 'Professor'
+ LN option for woman fills a real gap (here in Australia anyway, where
"Ms" is hardly ever used) in that it can be used by married woman who
retain their maiden name without implying either that the LN is their
husband's or that they are unmarried.

Incidentally, Australia in general, including at universities, is, at least
in terms of address, like the MIT electronics lab, the reciprocal 'FN club
par excellence' . But in non-addressed reference, e.g.,  for listing
faculty members in university documents, etc., those with doctorates are
always referred to as Dr.+FN+LN rather than 'Mr/Mrs./Miss' because here
this is treated as an equipollent opposition rather than a privative one.
In other words, the use of 'Mr/Mrs./Miss implies that the person does not
have a PhD. (or MD). And similarly with 'Professor'  vs Dr./Mr/Mrs/Miss
(professorships here being being much rarer than in the US).

Alan Rumsey

At 11:18 AM 7/24/2003 -0500, Laura Miller wrote:
>This discussion about address terms is very interesting, particularly the
>way it reflects so many different local practices, individual backgrounds
>and idiosyncratic preferences, such as Hal's aversion to LN. In my
>undergraduate classes at Loyola I got into the habit of addressing
>students by LN plus the Japanese address term -san, which is inclusive of
>Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms (LN + T). I started doing this not because it so nicely
>avoids labeling women by age or marital status, but because I find it much
>easier to remember them by their family names, which are incredibly
>diverse, rather than their first names, which are not (so many Kimberlys,
>Jessicas and Amandas!).
>
>I was chastised by a sociology colleague for doing this, because she
>claimed that by using their last names I am imposing a degree of social
>distance and not demonstrating intimacy. But the students like it. I've
>overheard them use it to refer to others outside class ("Do you know what
>Patel-san did?), and they think it's sort of exotic and cool.
>Best,
>Laura

>Alan,
>
>The way you ended your last message, with last-name only (which I was
>tempted to start this message with, but can't bring myself to do) reminded
>me of British and other traditions, where LN only was (or is) de rigueur.
>I could never get used to this, because in the US, at least, it is used
>almost exclusively in the military, in other para-military organizations
>(e.g.  the US Post office) and of course, reciprocally by (male)
>co-equals, but especially in sports.  (One of my female students, also an
>athlete here at Penn, told me that women "jocks" do this as well.)  Since
>I had worked in the Post office for 2 summers and 2 Xmases and came to
>loathe LN address (never reciprocal) from supervisers, I can't bear it
>when I hear it from British academics, or others.  (I once had a Tamil TA
>whose husband was on the faculty, so she assumed she should address me
>with LN; I couldn't bring myself to tell her it was inappropriate in the
>US, since it would then bring forth endless apologies and groveling, so I
>had to ask the students to break it to her gently).  Her response (to
>them) was that it was British usage, which she assumed, and continued to
>assume, was appropriate in the US.
>
>Hal Schiffman
>
>On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Alan Rumsey wrote:
>
> > At 07:53 AM 7/23/2003 -0700, Alexandra Jaffe wrote:
> > >
> > >At the same time as reciprocal TLN may have been indexing shared
> > >membership in a community of high-powered scholars (downplaying internal
> > >status hierarchy) it surely also served to differentiate that community
> > >from other academic communities that used the (normative) Dr. or
> > >Professor. The choice of less hierarchy-laden terms acted as a powerful
> > >assertion of high status in the broader field of American Universities
> [...]

Alan Rumsey
Senior Fellow, Dept. of Anthropology
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200
Australia
tel: +61-2-6125-2365 Fax: +61-2-6125-4896
alr at coombs.anu.edu.au
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/anthropology/staff/rumsey.html
ANU CRICOS Provider Number: 00120C