New technologies and telephones

Bambi Schieffelin bs4 at nyu.edu
Thu Jun 19 20:17:40 UTC 2003

I am teaching a course this fall on conversation and realize that my
expectations regarding data collection and transcription are dated, to put
it mildly. Students no longer have audio tape recorders, and many use cell
phones most of the time. SO -

1. Does anyone have suggestions, and ever better yet, experience, collecting
telephone conversations using technologies other than audiotape recorders?

2. Is there a way to record cell phone conversations?

3. And transcription technologies? (do I throw away those old transcription
machines?)

Thanks so much -

Bambi B. Schieffelin