Request for assistance identifying book reviewers

Elizabeth Keating ekeating at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 20 17:52:35 UTC 2003

Dear Colleagues:

Please take a moment to review the below (or attached) list of newly
published books. We at the Journal of Linguistic Anthropology are
requesting your help in either reviewing these books or suggesting
reviewers for them. We have so far been unable to find relevant experts who
also have time, so we are asking your help in identifying other experts. We
very much appreciate your time in helping with this vital role of bringing
new books to the attention of all of us.

If you are interested in reviewing, or can suggest names of reviewers,
please reply to this email or email:
<mailto:journla at uts.cc.utexas.edu>journla at uts.cc.utexas.edu.

Recently many of you have participated in an animated discussion of whether
book reviews should be published in print or online. We are still working
with the problems that originally raised the issue, namely rising costs in
printing and rising numbers of manuscript submissions. Our hope is to be
able to both print book reviews and post them online in the future.

Many thanks,

Elizabeth Keating, co-editor, Journal of Linguistic Anthropology

Books we need reviewers for:

Anderwald, Lieselotte. Negation in Non-Standard British English: Gaps,
regularizations and asymmetries. New York: Routledge, 2002. 232 pp.

Colarusso, John (assembled, translated, and annotated). Nart Sagas from the
Caucasus. New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2002. 552 pp.

Corballis, Michael C. From Hand to Mouth: The Origins of Language.
Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2002. 257 pp.

Costa, David. The Miami-Illinois Language. University of Nebraska Press,
2003. 566 pp.

Dixon, R.M.W. Australian Languages : Their Nature and Development.
Cambridge University Press, 2002. 800 pp.

Dörnyei, Zoltán. Questionnaires in Second Language Research: Construction,
Administration, and Processing. Mahwah, N. J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates,
Publishers, 2003. 156 pp.

Gonzalez, Norma. I Am My Language: Discourses of Women and Children in the
Borderlands. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press, 2001. 220 pp.

Hill, Johnathan D., and Fernando Santos-Granero (eds.) Comparative Arawakan
Histories: Rethinking language family and culture area in Amazonia. Urbana
and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2002. 376 pp.

Houtkoop-Steenstra, Hanneke. Interaction and the Standardized Survey
Interview: The Living Questionnaire. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,
2000. 209 pp.

Joyce, Rosemary A. The Languages of Archaeology. Oxford: Blackwell
Publishing, 2002. 176 pp.

Mufwene, Salikoko S. The Ecology of Language Evolution. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 2001. 255 pp.

Spack, Ruth. Americans Second Tongue: American Indian Education and the
Ownership of English, 1860-1900. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press,
2002. 231 pp.

Wolfart, H. C. (ed.) Papers of the Thirty-third Algonquian Conference.
Winnipeg, Canada: University of Manitoba, 2002. 432 pp.

Wray, Alison  (ed.) The Transition to Language. NY: Oxford University
Press, 2002. 410 pp.

____________________
Elizabeth Keating
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station C3200
Austin, TX 78712-0303
phone: 512-471-8518; fax 512-471-6535
office: E.P.Schoch Building, room 1.114

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~keating/
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/keating/

co-editor Journal of Linguistic Anthropology (JLA)
JLA website: http://www.aaanet.org/sla/publications.htm