cross cultural communication

Clark, John JTClark at csuchico.edu
Thu May 8 00:12:30 UTC 2003

Sam

Livia Polyani gave a wonderful paper at a conference  at Georgetown University in 1996 called "Language Use and the Maintenance of Social Order" that looked precisely at Doctor/Patient power relations. A frighteningly good paper. I don't know where she published it, but do me a favor and give me the cite when and if you find it.

For parent/teacher stuff, check out  Lareau, Annette _Home Advantage: Social class and parental intervention in elementary education_ 1989 Falmer Press.

Then, there is Jeffrey Shultz and  Frederick Erickson's masterful study of the interactions between a school counselor and students (_The Counselor as Gatekeeper_  1982 Academic Press.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you find Polyani's paper publshed.

John T. Clark
Department of English
California State University, Sacramento