strange grammar

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Tue Oct 14 14:07:08 UTC 2003

(Apologies for the cross-posting.)

While listening to NPR this morning I heard someone talking about the
stock market describe some of the people who work there as
(approximate quote; I was driving to campus at the time):

"...the persons whose hands through which all trades must pass."

This is certainly comprehensible, as a paraphrase of "the person
whose hands all trades must pass through."  But is it... er,
"grammatical"? Or is it a twisted attempt to conform to prescriptive
grammar resulting in hypercorrection? I "feel" that there's something
wrong with it, as though maybe it violates some syntactic constraint.
Am I right, or am I just too Appalachian?

Ron

--
Ronald Kephart
Associate Professor