Fw: another car name mishap (well, almost)

Mike Salovesh salovex at wpo.cso.niu.edu
Wed Oct 22 02:08:37 UTC 2003

Harriet Ottenheimer said:

> Not sure if this is for real.  A colleague sent it to me.
>
> http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2003/10/16/227790.html
>
> Does anyone know about this?

I dunno, Harriet. I suspect it really isn't so, however, if only because
the story you cite repeats an urban legend about the Chevrolet Nova not
selling in Spanish-speaking countries because "nova" means "it doesn't go".
That never happened -- and, in fact, the Nova sold pretty well in Mexico
and Venezuela.

A Google search for "Nova" AND "urban legend" turns up lots of hits,
beginning with

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

That site gives definitive evidence that the Nova story just ain't so.

--  mike salovesh     <m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>   PEACE !!!