Raspberry column

Bryllars at concentric.net Bryllars at concentric.net
Mon Sep 1 15:22:28 UTC 2003

re: Rasberry and your comment

My personal comment on The System and its inabilities
is the thought that so few teachers know how to bridge the gap you
indicate might be there.

Until one can figure out how teachers with middle class aspirations and
not all that much knowledge or understanding
can do this kind of thing
it makes little sense to blame the system as such
  - as though changes in the proceedures could overcome
the problem.
Or can this be done in a classroom at all?

Or is the classroom the system?

What substitutes for the classroom in transmitting the cultural skills
   of education do we really have.

This takes us back to Paul Goodman and others -
      Do we have time or the imagination.
Do we propose two "school" systems?
Who decides who goes in which -
                 a close friend of mind with Genius skills
spent most of his school (as opposed to college) days
in the subnormal class because he was to bright for the
teachers or the system.
Even in college he was guided to the business course.
Before becoming a full professor at Univ Pennsylvania
and the Yale
and author of widely best sellling books.

Quietness is not the same as verbal inability
and what we are left with is our inability to understand,
communicate with, or measure
the potential of young students.

Karl Reisman
Bryllars at concentric.net