Raspberry column and "verbal skills"

peterson peterson at aucegypt.edu
Tue Sep 2 16:43:54 UTC 2003

I'm not big on quantitative studies, but the study seems sound as far as it
goes.  Nor should it surprise us.  Every time I teach anthropological
linguistics I drag out Shirley Brice Heath's old article on bedtime stories,
which shows that not only vocabulary but all manner of verbal experiences in
the home affect the ways people of different classes meet school expectations.
 That there are exceptions is no surprise either.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pierre Bourdieu, as this report, and the
interpretation made of it by the journalist, fit neatly into his critique of
the educational system.  Bourdieu essentially argues that schools do not so
much educate as reward and reinforce particular (middle class) practices
students bring with them from their family origins, negatively sanctioning
alternative practices.  Language practices are paramount among these.  Schools
thus operate not so much as tools for class mobility (as our popular
mythologies would have it) but as mechanisms for class reproduction.
Exceptions are to be expected in Bourdieu's formulation: there will always be
those of lower classes who, because of their "unique life trajectory" can use
the system to advantage (I had a secretary once in DC who yanked her daughter
from the public school system, quit her job, and lived on welfare for a year
while she homeschooled her daughter.    Her daughter was subsequently able to
get into a magnet school because her test scores went up dramatically).  The
same thing can happen in reverse.  But such exceptions are unlikely to ever
occur in statistically significant degrees.

The question Bourdieu raises from this analysis is different than that of the
reporter in this case.  Bourdieu asks if there are alternative modes of
education that can be truly democratic, that is, that do not privilege or that
have mechanisms for raising the underprivileged.  His answer seems to be that
society doesn't really want schools that level class distinctions.

Mark

Mark Allen Peterson
Asst Prof of Anthropology and International Studies
152 Upham Hall
Miami University
Oxford, OH  45056
tel: 513 529-5018