[Linganth] Mexican Spanish & U.S. Latina/o media

Alexander King a.king at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 17:55:17 UTC 2004

Interesting to see these posts. When I was an
exchange student to Bogota, many years ago, I
learned that the most correct, best Spanish is
spoken in Colombia, in Bogota, to be exact. Later
when I met another American who had been living
in Bucaramanga (sp?), she informed me that the
'best' Spanish was spoken there. This is an
interesting pattern.

Sociolinguists working in Britain will be quick
to point out that regionalism in British English
is alive and strong, not subject to the
homogenization apparent in America, but the
interesting thing there is that local accents are
devalued vis a vis a 'standard English' which no
one really speaks. Interesting that Spanish
speakers in Mexico and Colombia seem to have the
inverse ideology (pride in their own way of
speaking).

Alex King

--
University of Aberdeen  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology