[Linganth] Re: How the Secret Service protects Bush from free speech

P. Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Thu Jan 8 20:31:52 UTC 2004

Thanks for your comments, clarifying the history of free speech zones.
I am not an expert on Singapore, and have only been there once, but I
have read accounts which suggest that the freedom you describe has not
always been the case. For instance, there is this article from Amnesty
International:

<http://web.amnesty.org/library/print/ENGASA360011999>

Which states:

'"Chee Soon Juan's case shows once again how an array of laws continues
to undermine Singaporeans' right to freedom of expression," said
Amnesty International today.

"It represents far more than a dispute over the procedural requirements
of a public entertainment ordinance. This case marks a rare public
protest at the restrictive laws which deter people from expressing
dissenting political views in Singapore, and engender a pervasive
climate of self-censorship."'

And this one by Christopher Lingle:

<http://www.sfdonline.org/Link%20Pages/Link%20Folders/
Political%20Freedom/lingle.html>

Which says, among other things:

"Mr Harry Lee's claim that people in Singapore do not engage in
politicking is correct. However, they remain uninvolved because little
is gained and much can be lost as it is so dangerous for those who
would oppose the PAP regime. Opposition politicians are routinely
hauled into court where they face libel writs. At least 12 major
opposition figures have been sued by government officials, many of whom
were bankrupted by the proceedings.

Little critical commentary is passed in the media on these
unprecedented actions taken by the PAP against their rivals. The
domestic media is under the regime's total control. With Singapore's
draconic application of libel laws, publishers, printers, and
distributors are potentially liable for every word in every publication
they handle. Meanwhile, the international press refrains from
commenting on Singapore's domestic affairs after facing costly lawsuits
and damaging restrictions on circulation of their publication.

Consequently, media self-censorship about Singapore's affairs is
unmistakable."

While Singapore is certainly not Taiwan during the White Terror, it
does seem to have a history of less than complete freedom for the
expression of dissenting views.

- kerim