[Linganth] linguistic proficiency

Michele Koven mkoven at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 16 20:49:04 UTC 2004

Hello,

A colleague in applied linguistics/SLA asked me a question that I
thought readers of this list might have some good leads for. Can
someone suggest readings that address how, methodologically,
linguistic anthropologists manage their own (usually) non-native
linguistic skills, when doing detailed analysis? I thought some of
you might have some more specific references--classic or contemporary
discussions. The main references that came to my mind were Bambi
Schieffelin's close review of recorded materials with participants,
and Gumperz's playing of samples to participants to elicit their
interpretations. Others?

Thanks!!
--

Michèle Koven