[Linganth] Q: Quessa/Cuentos

Maggie Ronkin ronkinm at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 14:20:34 UTC 2004

Reynolds, Director, Centro de Estudios de la Universidad de California,
Colegio Mayor Isabel la Católica Universidad de Granada ... Just in case
anyone else is interested in re-told works of Arabic origin influencing
story foms in European contexts:
--Maggie

... there is no connection whatsoever between the words <cuento> and
<qissa>.  The first is Indo-European and ... is  cognate to many words --
count, account, recount, etc. -- in English.  The  second is from the
Semitic root that gives both the sense of "to cut" and "to narrate."  But
Arabic, via Spain, did indeed influence the FORM of the European  story and
we have dozens of examples of Arabic tales being translated into Spanish and
Latin in the late Middle Ages especially in the period of Alfonso  X "the
Wise."  These tales then recur in many Spanish works of the period
including the Stories of Count Lucano, the Book of Good Love, Don Quijote
(the conceit of the Quijote is that it is a translation of an Arabic
manuscript and Cervantes himself was a prisoner in Algeria for several years
before writing it), as well as in European works such as Dante´s Divine
Comedy, Bocaccio´s Decameron, Chaucer´s Canterbury Tales and elsewhere.

There is quite a large bibliography on this topic--one work that should be
easily available for your Spanish student(s) would be Juan Vernet´s <Lo que
debe Europa al Islam Español>.  It has a full coverage of the flow of the
sciences and mathematics through Spain to Europe as well as a good section
on the translations from Arabic and where "retold" versions of these works
appear
in late medieval European literature. They can also consult Maria Rosa
Menocal´s work on the Arabic literary influence on medieval Europe or almost
any of the basic references on Islamic Spain (such as Salma Jayyusi´s volume
on the Legacy of Islamic Spain).