[Linganth] Fwd: Re: nouns/verbs

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 14:21:06 UTC 2004

thanks kit!

Just curious - does anybody on the list experience this as casting Bush
as anything other than an AAVE speaker? Is there some other dialect
which this might evoke? there isn't for me...

As I read it, the over-generalisation of 3rd-singular -s suggests a
completely regularized grammar which lacks it -
this is the usual picture for AAVE, but Bush would here be
hypercorrecting in formal speech ("I has... I intends"). Blair, on the
other hand, would be speaking the normal vernacular variety ("he have").
The other bit from Bush ("I 'are' "), is not as far as I know attested
for any dialect, however stigmatized.

	Of course this is not suggesting that the author had these
readings consciously in mind - but I am wondering whether their idea of
"stupid/no grammar" depends on AAVE as a default model. In fact, it
might be surprising if the author actually intended reference to AAVE,
as I don't think there is much reason to associate Bush with the
variety, other than general denigration. To a speaker who was aware of
these general patterns, the intended satire on Blair would also be lost,
since he is speaking vernacularly and thus not following Bush's lead -
you would expect the British character to be given more posh speech (esp
since Blair is often caricatured here as Bush's poodle or lapdog).

just being a linguist - I did think it was kinda funny...

	-plp-

Peter L Patrick
Dept of Language and Linguistics
University of Essex