[Linganth] "other"/"authentic" languages in film

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Fri Oct 22 14:06:01 UTC 2004

Paul, Hal,
thanks for suggestions for thinking about this. From another angle
I approach this in my course on African Diaspora Englishes, for both
AAVE and British AfroCaribbean English (BrACE), by looking at issues of
Ethnicity & Authenticity, Identity & Racism, in vernacular speaking
across
racial boundaries by white and other speakers.

We look at Hewitt 1986 on white teens' use of Creole in London, and
Rampton
1995 on more general crossing in a Home Counties school (which includes
approximation of Punjabi, Creole and Stylised Asian English);

Sweetland 2002, Cutler 1999 and Jacobs-Huey 1997, on white production
and
black perception of AAVE by white (VAAC, but non-ASD, in John Baugh's
terms) speakers;
and Ronkin & Karn 1999, on white mis- (or should it be, dis-
?)appropriation of
AAVE norms for racist discourse online, in the wake of the Ebonics
storm, among others.

I haven't added to this list lately (Sweetland 2002, the latest, is the
published version of
a paper Julie did for me as an undergrad), and would be happy to get
other suggestions for it.
(In the past I have also used Mary Bucholtz's work, and Renee Blake's
Stanford PhD study of
white and black Barbadian Creole speakers.)
	Films which raise these issues include White Man's Burden, Eight
Mile, Barbershop
and the Warren Beatty film I can't remember just now - Bulworth? - where
he plays
a Senate candidate having a cultural breakdown and ends up doing some
very funny
bad (meaning 'bad', not 'good'!) rapping. Dick Gregory, Richard Pryor,
Chris Rock
and other African American comedians, all construct white speech in
comedy routines.
Again, suggestions welcomed...

	-peter p-

Peter L Patrick