[Linganth] SLA plans for AAA

GABRIELLA MODAN modan.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 26 20:36:42 UTC 2004

It seems that a lot of sections are planning or thinking about meeting separately in the bay area (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose) whatever the AAA decides to do. I'd like to propose that SLA do this if AAA meets in Atlanta, and perhaps even if the meetings are moved back to San Francisco. Having a critical mass of sections who take a stance as sections rather than as individuals I think sends a strong message to the AAA what we all think of this fiasco. Also, if we were to meet in the Bay Area, it would be worth thinking about organizing a meeting one night for all the sections that are in the area to talk face-to-face about future steps.

Has the SLA Board been discussing this? Are there any proposals on the table? What's up?

Also, I think it would be a great idea to have a separate linguistic anthropology conference (officially  SLA or otherwise) in the future, in addition to AAA. I think this is really something worth pursuing.

Galey