[Linganth] Fwd: [aaaunite] ALLA Board Statement Reg Continued Lockout & San Jose as PossibleAlternate Venue

P. Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Wed Oct 27 01:56:48 UTC 2004

Forwarded message from ALLA:

Dear Members of the AAA Leadership and ALL:

UNITE had anticipated that the hotel employer group would not agree to
the 90 day "cooling down" period, and they have been proven right.

In my last email, I stated the Association of Latina and Latino
Anthropologists (ALLA) Board's position as waiting until we heard about
the outcome of that UNITE/hotels deliberation. I also stated that if
agreed to by both parties, returning to San Francisco would have been
the best option.

In the face of the continued lockout and in consultation with UNITE
HERE organizers, I and the other members of the ALLA Board believe San
Jose to be the next best option as moving the AAA Meetings to that city
better ensures that the greatest number of AAA members can still
participate.

As mentioned by Paul Durrenberger in his email to us, UNITE has worked
tirelessly to help ensure that the AAA has a really viable option SF or
Atlanta - in my conversation with UNITE organizers a half hour ago,
they believe San Jose is now still the best option for the AAA as well
as the Union.

I am attaching and pasting below a 4th letter from San Jose City
officials they sent today to the AAA leadership. I understand San Jose
continued to make their offers even yesterday to AAA conference planner
Lucille Horn & the Board - an offer to accommodate the AAA Meetings;
provide financial incentives payable to the AAA; and provide the
planning help necessary to ensure a smooth running conference even at
this late date.

If at this time the AAA leadership is NOT considering San Jose as our
alternate location, ALLA respectfully requests a verifiable
clarification of your reasons.

Moving to Atlanta will most likely decimate our ALLA sessions and
prevent us from conducting necessary section business at a time when we
are needing to fortify our Section. ALLA has long worked in coalition
with other Sections (and our members are members of other sections as
well) and we have been stronger for these relationships. As many
Sections have stated their intentions of holding meetings in different
locations or canceling altogether, we are further weakened if the AAA
Board decides again to move our Meetings to Atlanta.

The ALLA Board thanks you for your substantial efforts during this
difficult period and pledges our Section's assistance in contributing
to the most viable alternative as to the AAA Meeting venue. However,
until we have a substantive response from the AAA Leadership regarding
San Jose, ALLA cannot move forward in making other plans.

Sincerely, Paule Cruz Takash, ALLA Board President