[Linganth] Panel looking for meeting space

P. Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Thu Oct 28 13:40:42 UTC 2004

Ken,

First, a clarification: The alternative meetings being held in the bay
area are mostly being held during the original time slot in November -
when most people still have tickets to go to the original AAA meetings.
The AAA meeting in Atlanta is in December, when many people simply
can't make it (or won't go for other reasons). Many sub-sections have
decided that it is the only way to get anything done, while others feel
that it is the only right thing to do. Expect more announcements from a
variety of sub-sections today.

<http://aaaunite.blogspot.com/2004/10/sub-section-mini-meetings.html>

Regarding reimbursement. It isn't clear to me why one wouldn't get
reimbursed for attending an SLA mini-session hosted outside of the
AAA's normal time slot. The different sections have different
contracts, but I know in the caste of SEAA they have the authority to
hold their own conferences in addition to the AAA meeting, as Laura
made clear in her message. Although I suppose if someone already got
reimbursed on the basis of attending one meeting it may be difficult to
change that to another one.

Regarding jobs. Since so few people will be attending Atlanta, I
imagine that most schools are going to make other arrangements to
contact those they are interested in hiring. At least I hope they are,
since I am on the job market this year and (like many others) I can't
go to Atlanta because it conflicts previous travel plans. (In my case I
bought very expensive, non refundable, plane tickets to India where I
am attending a conference on the same dates as the Atlanta conference.)

Although we are coordinating the alternative plans of various AAA
sub-sections via the blog, AAA UNITE is not calling for a boycott of
Atlanta. (The petition, with over 600 signatures to-date, for such a
boycott, was started by another group.) For those who go to Atlanta we
are suggesting that people avoid staying at the (non-union) Hilton, and
try to spend their money outside of the hotel as well. However, we do
feel that the decision to move to Atlanta was wrong and are calling for
changes in the way the AAA writes contracts so that it isn't forced
into a similar position in the future. There will be meetings in the
Bay Area during the November weekend to put together an official list
of demands regarding both the AAA decision making process and how it
makes contracts. Some AAA Unite members will then go to Atlanta to meet
with the AAA executive board and go over these demands. If you wish to
be involved in the process, please join the AAAUNITE listserv.

kerim