Linguistics/ESL Grad Programs

Harriet J. Ottenheimer mahafan at ksu.edu
Wed Aug 10 09:01:57 UTC 2005

I believe Wichita State University has a master's degree program.  One
of my students went there a few years ago, after having spent a few
years teaching English in Japan.  I think that University of North Texas
may have a Ph.D. program as well.

Another approach getting ESL training and experience is to sign on with
an English-teaching company in a foreign country as an instructor.  The
company provides a short course on TESOL and you end up with a
certificate and a job.  Students of mine have taken advantage of these
opportunities (one in Prague, one in Korea) and then spent the year
teaching English in those locations and saving money for grad school.
Hope this is what you are looking for.

Cheers,
--Harriet Ottenheimer