query regarding secret and play languages in Indonesia

Harriet J. Ottenheimer mahafan at ksu.edu
Fri Aug 19 16:55:25 UTC 2005

Greetings, all.

I hope everyone's summer has been peaceful/restful/productive......  I
am finally back in Kansas after having spent an absolutely wonderful
sabbatical year in Prague.

I am sending you this query on behalf of Mariana Pfelgerova, a Ph.D.
student in Prague, who is researching secret and play languages in
Indonesia. She has collected some very interesting examples of these
kinds of languages in context (including some consonant-insertion
models, and some backward-speaking ones, and more).  Some are just for
play, some are for signaling in-group identity.  Mariana is looking for
whatever published work there might be on such languages, especially in
Indonesia, Java, (and even more specifically: see her note below).  She
is also looking for any research which might assist her in analysis and
interpretation of these kinds of languages.  I have pasted her more
detailed description of localities below.

quote:
I think Indonesia, more specifically Java, more specificallÿ Javanese
cities - I know of work from Yogja and Solo, there must be something on
Jakarta, maybe Bandung, Surabaya. I especially intend to write about
Malang and East Java. They should be play languages and secret languages.
end quote.

If anyone can assist with references and/or suggestions, both Mariana
and I would be very very grateful.  Please write directly to her
(marianapflegerova at yahoo.com).

Many thanks to all.

Cheers,

Harriet Ottenheimer