mathematical modeling of linguistic contact/diffusion

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Mon Dec 5 18:53:50 UTC 2005

A mathematician friend of mine has approached me about exploring the
possibilities of doing some modelling of language contact/diffusion,
especially with regard to the language I focus on (Nicaraguan Sign
Language).  Has anyone on this list been involved in language
modelling?  I'd be interested in hearing about the experience.  Feel
free to post responses to the list, since those of us who haven't
done much modelling could probably do with some exposure to the
topic, even if we don't hold with it.  In fact, it may be useful to
see what issues or criticisms might be worth addressing if we get to
the point of pursuing this in earnest, especially if we consider how
to write it up for linguistic anthropologists or other "non-math"
folk.

I'd also love to hear about articles and other publications about
modelling that are targeted for non-mathematical audiences,
especially social science researchers.

-Richard