[Linganth] Substitute x for y

Alexander King a.king at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 09:47:01 UTC 2005

I think that Martin is onto something with the for/with problem. This
fits with general complaints from pundits about "prepositions in
English going to hell" or some such rant. For example, "different to"
is very common usage despite my intuition that it's ungrammatical. I
think, "should be 'different from' not 'to'. We are going to have to
adapt to the flow of the tide because everything melts like sand
castles in the sea, eventually.

Using apostrophes without possession, however, I will mark as "wrong"
on students' papers to my dying day. Maybe we could just delete
apostrophes from English? German seems to get on fine without them.

Alex

--
University of Aberdeen  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology