[Linganth] KAS Call for Papers--Deadline Reminder

Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Thu Feb 3 19:39:48 UTC 2005

[Note:  I am forwarding this to the list; please don't use reply
function to respond. Instead, please use e-mail address in the notice
itself.  -RJS]

From: "Nathaniel Dumas" <ndumas at berkeley.edu>
Subject: KAS Call for Papers--Deadline Reminder

Kroeber Anthropological Society (KAS)
Special-Theme Journal Issue
Call for Papers

Scholars note that there is little discussion on "failures," or
breakdowns in communication,
between anthropologists and fieldsite community members in the
practice of fieldwork.  Where there
have been discussions on these incidents, in-depth analysis has been
insightful for ethnographic
findings and an understanding of our numerous identities as
ethnographers.  Accordingly, the
Kroeber Anthropological Society [KAS] is currently soliciting papers
for its upcoming journal
issue around this theme, entitled "Plan B: When the Anthropologist
Becomes Data."  This issue
seeks to address this gap in the literature on breakdowns in
communication by soliciting
submissions on how scholars in anthropology have confronted these
events in their own fieldwork
experiences.  We invite explorations on the multiple facets of this
topic, such as what
constitutes a breakdown? To what extent do we learn more about the
groups we study as well as our
own positionality when we experience a loss of "face"?  How are these
incidents co-constructed,
communicative acts between the anthropologist and the fieldsite?
Furthermore, how can we use
existing discourse strategies in contemporary ethnographic writing to
represent and critically
engage with such incidents?  Or is it necessary to develop new strategies?

This paper call is open to scholars in all subfields of anthropology
who are conducting fieldwork
in communities abroad and in their "home" communities.  We strongly
encourage submissions from
linguistic anthropologists, archeologists, and related fields.
Misfiring events are common
elements of fieldwork, regardless of the locations of our sites.
Thus, this journal theme aims to
emphasize that such events should not remain as neglected situations
but instead become generative
devices in the ongoing dialogues on the complexities of
anthropological theory and practice.
Submissions due February 9th, 2005
Please send two paper copies and one electronic copy (MS Word) to:
Kroeber Anthropological Society
232 Kroeber Hall
Berkeley, CA  94720

Papers should be no more than 11000 words (30 pgs, double-spaced).
Electronic copies can be
mailed on a 3.5" diskette or CD to the above address.  For format
guidelines, please refer to the
AAA style guide or the KAS website at
http://sscl.berkeley.edu/~kas/submission.html.

For further information, contact: Nate Dumas--ndumas at berkeley.edu