[Linganth] Another description of middle finger greetings

monaghan at indiana.edu monaghan at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 11 15:03:26 UTC 2005

Another ASOIAF EZ Board Member, sologdin, wrote this nice description of the
middle finger greeting:

"yeah, me and me boyz did this kinda stuff through high school.

and then in college. and grad school. and while working. and it seems to happen
still now that i'm in law school.

pretty standard stuff. less unmanly than waving, involves no
touching/handshaking/hugging--all to be resisted. acknowledges the presence and
value of the other, without seeming homo-ish. a definite covert homophobic
device.

thing is, it's like the "in-group" politics of phrases like "what up my
niggah"--just like i can't say this to just anyone, nor can i shoot the finger
toward just anyone."