[Linganth] Middle finger as informal greeting

Alexander King a.king at abdn.ac.uk
Sun Jan 30 20:22:31 UTC 2005

I also don't have real data, but I'm pretty sure
that "negatives" have long been used as
"positives" in slang, especially Afro-American
slang. Use of "bad" to mean "good" was already
well established when I noticed it anecdotally in
the 1980s. Also I have hearsay evidence (someone
told me about reading a thing ...) of "bad
motherfucker" used as the highest compliment
among Afro-American blues/jazz musicians in the
1950s. Middle-fingered greetings would seem to
parallel this usage.

If Leila's students are mostly white (?), this
would follow a pattern of whites eventually
adopting slang innovated by blacks a generation
earlier.

Alex

--
University of Aberdeen  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology