[Linganth] Middle finger as informal greeting

Harriet J. Ottenheimer mahafan at ksu.edu
Mon Jan 31 05:42:36 UTC 2005

Phrases like these appear in blues lyrics earlier than the  1950s.  I'm
thinking in particular of Speckled Red (Rufus Perryman)'s "The Dozens"
recorded in the 1940s (I think, I'm still in Prague and not near my
library or files right now), but there are other examples as well.  Not
clear whether these examples display the multiple voicings that you are
looking for, though.  --Harriet