[Linganth] Substitute x for y

nancyh at gse.upenn.edu nancyh at gse.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 31 18:46:45 UTC 2005

Ron,
Might this also have something to do with topic-comment sentence structure?
i.e. that the listener assumes the important information comes at the end of
your request, for emphasis?  You could try saying, 'Please substitute the wings
with legs and thighs' and see what happens.

By the way, what are you doing eating fast-food fried chicken often enough to
notice this pattern?  not good for you!
Nancy