[Linganth] Substitute x for y

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 31 19:28:02 UTC 2005

My experience with people who work in fast-food restaurants is that they
aren't very *flexible* about changes in ordering techniques, requests,
etc. I think they've been trained to respond to standard requests, but
anything out of the ordinary may throw them off. They're also often not
able to paraphrase; when I hear them ask me if it's "freer-da-go?" ("for
here or to go?") and I don't understand this, they just repeat it, rather
than paraphrasing, or saying it slower or more distinctly.

Hal S.